Students are invited to apply for admission to the doctoral consortium to be held at the IJCAI conference in Montreal, Canada on Aug. 21-26, 2021.
The doctoral consortium provides an opportunity for Ph.D. students to discuss their research interests and career objectives with established researchers in AI, network with other participants, and receive mentoring about career planning and career options. The doctoral consortium will expose students to different areas of research within AI and help build professional connections within the international community of AI researchers.
Applicants should submit (as a single PDF file) the following:
1. A two-page extended abstract that summarizes the research problem being investigated, the specific contributions made, and directions for the remaining work. In particular, please write about how the research you are trying to do is done today; what are its limits; what is new in your approach; why do you think it will be successful; if successful, what difference will it make; and the evaluations to check for success. The extended abstract has to be formatted using the IJCAI 2-column format (downloadable here: https://www.ijcai.org/authors_kit), and is strictly limited to 2 pages, including references. Submissions are not double blind, which means the author name and affiliation should be included. When writing it, remember that the audience is knowledgeable about AI, but not necessarily in the narrow topic of your thesis. Be sure to introduce the content at a level that the general IJCAI audience can understand it, but also include enough low-level details for the experts to understand your unique contributions. Accepted extended abstracts will be published in the IJCAI Proceedings and be presented briefly at the doctoral consortium.
2. A curriculum vitae (2 pages) with background (name, university), education (degree sought, year/status in degree, previous degrees), employment, and relevant experience in research (publications, presentations, conferences attended, etc).
3. A personal statement (1-2 pages) with answers to the following questions:
a) Have you attended the IJCAI DC previously? If not, have you attended other DC? Please say which one(s) and what was most useful to you?
b) Have you submitted an article to the main IJCAI 2021 conference and/or an IJCAI 2021 workshop? If so, what is the title of the article?
c) When do you expect to graduate?
d) What type of job do you desire after graduation (research, teaching, development, etc) and what do you envision doing for the next five years after graduation?
Besides, we will require a letter from every applicant’ supervisor. This letter is to be sent to both of us via email (see below),by the supervisor him/herself, with the subject Recommendation Letter for XXXXX
Submission site: https://cmt3.research.microsoft.com/IJCAIDC2021
Submission deadline: March 28, 2021 (anytime in the world)
A limited number of travel grants will be available. Details will be posted later.
Please send all enquiries about the DC program to the IJCAI 2021 Doctoral Consortium co-chairs:
– Ana Bazzan Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Yang Yu, Nanjing University, email@example.com